I really wanted to do some character animation with lip-sync and though it would be a good opportunity to try out my recent purchase of ZBrush by starting the modelling process within Zbrush and then re-topologising for animation. I found the process liberating, using dynamesh’s flexibility to straight up ignore geometry and polyflow until the end. In hindsight I would of light to introduce some asymmetry into the face but I think I was too exciting to see how well the character came across into Lightwave 3D via GoZ. I’m happy to say it worked very smoothly.
Rigging, morph maps and materials were worked up in Lightwave 3D using Rhiggit Pro V2’s autorigger, 3rd Powers LW Brush for morph maps and Lightwave’s nodal surfacing for materials. I also used Substance Painter for some surfacing tweeks.
I recorded the dialogue and went about filming myself miming the movements to accompany the voice to use as reference, while also having a good opportunity to test lighting.
Everything was hand animated, with a little help from the ‘Noisey Channel’ modifier for camera movements. The process was a real pleasure after creating up selection set in the scene editor and graph editor to quickly refer to particular groups of items.
The final output was rendered through Lightwave 3D’s native renderer at 1920×1080 at 30fps, steering away from my regions 25fps (uk) due to stutter on 60hz monitors and devices. The render setting used 2 bounce global illumination for a softer look and ray-traced camera defocus.